The Protection of Personal Information Act, 2013 (“POPIA”) came into complete commencement on 1 July 2021, in this regard we have a number of obligations and duties in terms of POPIA that we must comply with. The protection of your personal information is a high priority for us, and we have taken steps to ensure that your personal information is protected and remains private.
Where we refer to “process”, it means how we collect, use, store, make available, destroy, update, disclose, or otherwise deal with your personal information. As a general rule we will only process your personal information if this is required to deliver or offer a service, provide a product, or carry out a transaction.
Any reference to “we” or “us” or “our” is reference to Nucleus Vision Digital and Design Legends (Pty) Ltd and Nucleus Vision Digital and Design SA (Pty) Ltd.
What is personal information?
Personal information refers to any information that identifies you or specifically relates to you. Personal information includes, but is not limited to, the following information about you:
|Age||Financial history||Personal views|
|Birth||Identity number||Physical health|
|Criminal history||Medical History||Sexual orientation|
|Education||Online identifier||Telephone number|
|E-mail address||Other particular assignment||Well-being|
|Employment history||Personal opinions|
|Ethnic origin||Personal preferences|
Is the supply of the personal information voluntary or mandatory?
The supply of certain personal information is mandatory, meaning we have to collect this personal information from you by law. If you do not supply this information, we cannot comply with our legal obligations. In this regard, if you do not supply this personal information, we cannot do business with you. We collect personal information as is required by the following legislation:
|Basic Conditions of Employment Act, No 75 of 1997|
|Continuing Education and Training Act (previously known as Further Education and Training Colleges Act) 16 of 2006|
|Compensation for Occupational Injuries and Diseases Act, No. 130 of 1993|
|Credit Agreement Act, No. 75 of 1980|
|The Criminal Procedure Act, No. 51 of 1977|
|Debt Collectors Act, No. 114 of 1998|
|Employment Equity Act, No. 55 of 1998|
|Financial Intelligence Centre Act, No. 38 of 2001|
|Higher Education Act 101 of 1997|
|Income Tax Act 58 of 1962|
|Labour Relations Act, No 66 of 1995|
|National Credit Act, No. 34 of 2005|
|NQF Act No 67 of 2008|
|Pension Funds Act, No. 24 of 1956|
|Skills Development Act 97 of 1998|
|Unemployment Insurance Act, No. 63 of 2001|
|Financial Advisory and Intermediary Service Act, No. 37 of 2002|
|Occupational Health and Safety Act No. 85 of 1993|
|Prevention of Organised Crime Act No. 121 of 1998|
In other instances, the supply of personal information is voluntary, which means there is no law imposed on us to collect this personal information. Even though there is no law that imposes the collection of the personal information, we require the personal information to deliver the products and/or services to you. In this regard, if you do not supply the personal information, we cannot do business with you.
When will we process your personal information?
We will only process your personal information for lawful purposes relating to our business if the following applies:
- If you have consented thereto.
- If a person legally authorised by you, the law, or a court, has consented thereto.
- If it is necessary to conclude or perform under a contract, we have with you.
- If the law requires or permits it.
- If it is required to protect or pursue your, our or a third party’s legitimate interest.
Special personal information is personal information about the following:
|Biometric information||Philosophical beliefs||Sex life|
|Criminal behaviour||Political persuasion||Trade union membership|
When will we process your special personal information?
We may process your special personal information in the following circumstances:
- If you have consented to the processing.
- If the information is being used for any Human resource or payroll requirement.
- If the processing is needed to create, use, or protect a right or obligation in law.
- If the processing is for statistical or research purposes and all legal conditions are met.
- If the special personal information was made public by you.
- If the processing is required by law.
- If racial information is processed, and the processing is required to identify you; and / or if health information is processed, and the processing is to determine your insurance risk, or to comply with an insurance policy or to enforce an insurance right or obligation.
When and from where we obtain personal information about you?
We may collect personal information about you from the following sources:
- We may collect personal information directly from you.
- We may collect personal information from a public record.
- We may collect personal information from an area where you have deliberately made it public.
- We may collect information about you based on your use of our products, services, or service channels.
- We may collect information about you based on how you engage or interact with us such as via our support desk, emails, letters, telephone calls and surveys.
- We may collect personal information from a third party.
- We may collect personal information from another source if you give us consent to do so.
If the law requires us to do so, we will ask for your consent before collecting personal information about you from third parties.
The third parties from whom we may collect your personal information include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Your spouse, dependents, partners, employer, and other similar sources.
- Attorneys, tracing agents, debt collectors and other persons that assist with the enforcement of agreements.
- Payment processing services providers, merchants, banks, and other persons that assist with the processing of your payment instructions, like EFT transaction partners.
- Insurers, brokers, other financial institutions, or other organisations that assist with insurance and assurance underwriting, the providing of insurance and assurance policies and products, the assessment of insurance and assurance claims and other related purposes.
- Law enforcement and fraud prevention agencies and other persons tasked with the prevention and prosecution of crime;
- Regulatory authorities, industry ombudsman, governmental departments, local and international tax authorities.
- Trustees, Executors or Curators appointed by a court of law.
- Our service providers, agents and sub-contractors like couriers and other persons we use to offer and provide products and services to you.
- Courts of law or tribunals.
Reasons we need to process your personal information.
We will process your personal information for the following reasons:
- To provide you with products, goods, and services
- To market our products, goods, and services to you.
- To respond to your enquiries and complaints.
- To comply with legislative, regulatory, risk and compliance requirements (including directives, sanctions, and rules), voluntary and involuntary codes of conduct and industry agreements or to fulfil reporting requirements and information requests.
- To conduct market and behavioural research, including scoring and analysis to determine if you qualify for products and services or to determine your credit or insurance risk.
- To develop, test and improve products and services for you.
- For historical, statistical and research purposes, like market segmentation.
- To process payment instruments.
- To create, manufacture and print payment issues (like a payslip)
- To enable us to deliver goods, documents, or notices to you.
- For security, identity verification and to check the accuracy of your personal information.
- To communicate with you and carry out your instructions and requests.
- For customer satisfaction surveys, promotional offerings.
- Insurance and assurance underwriting and administration.
- To process or consider or assess insurance or assurance claims.
- To provide insurance and assurance policies and products and related services.
- To enable you to take part in customer loyalty reward programmes, to determine your qualification for participation, earning of reward points, determining your rewards level, monitoring your buying behaviour with our rewards partners to allocate the correct points or inform you of appropriate products, goods, and services you may be interested in or to inform our reward partners about your purchasing behaviour.
- To enable you to take part in and make use of value-added products and services.
- To assess our lending and insurance risks; and / or
- For any other related purposes.
In general, we will only share your personal information if any one or more of the following apply:
- If you have consented to this.
- If it is necessary to conclude or perform under a contract, we have with you;
- If the law requires it; and / or
- If it’s necessary to protect or pursue your, our or a third party’s legitimate interest.
We will only transfer your personal information to third parties in another country in any one or more of the following circumstances:
- Where your personal information will be adequately protected under the other country’s laws or an agreement with the third-party recipient.
- Where the transfer is necessary to enter into or perform under a contract with you, or a contract with a third party that is in your interest.
- Where you have consented to the transfer; and / or
- Where it is not reasonably practical to obtain your consent, the transfer is in your interest.
How we secure your personal information
- We will take appropriate and reasonable technical and organisational steps to protect your personal information according to industry best practices. Our security measures (including physical, technological, and procedural safeguards) will be appropriate and reasonable. This includes the following:
- Keeping our systems secure (like monitoring access and usage);
- Storing our records securely.
- Controlling the access to our buildings, systems and/or records; and
- Safely destroying or deleting records.
- Ensure compliance with best practice standards.
We will keep your personal information for as long as:
- The law requires us to keep it.
- A contract between you and us requires us to keep it.
- You have consented for us keeping it.
- We require it for statistical or research purposes.
- A code of conduct requires us to keep it; and / or
- We require it for our lawful business purposes.